Esoc488 fa17 assignment 2 faq
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Assignment 2
Section 2 (Simple Auditing) Questions
How do I prove that I've done 2.1?
- It is enough to provide screen shots of the output of
$ sudo ufw status numbered
$ cat /home/<YOUR NONROOT ACCOUNT NAME>/.ssh/authorized_keys
- (for example if the nonroot account is named 'nemo', you'd take a screenshot of the output of
$ cat /home/nemo/.ssh/authorized_keys
In question 2.3, do I set up mitmproxy on the VPS?
- You can do that, or you can do it on your local machine if you'd prefer. If you've already got mitmproxy set up locally, I'd using that rather than setting things up again on your server.
Section 3 (Tor) Questions
- How do I get my browser to use the tor process created when I called
$ tor --control-port 9051
- Use a normal browser (ie not the Tor browser) by changing your proxy settings (web searches will help with how to do that if you are not already familiar with it). You'll want to use a SOCKS proxy through 127.0.0.1 on port 9050 (Tor has a SOCKS listener on 9050, and bc of the --control-port option you specified, it also listens on 9051 as a control port, which you'll use with Stem). You can go to check.torproject.org to check that things worked.